Thursday, June 2, 2011

What to do when your Newborn is Grunting more than usual

When my son was about a month old I had taken him to the pediatrician because he was grunting all the time which was more than the average newborn. The doctor told me it was stomach discomfort and said to give him Gripe Water. Of course I had never heard of it so I called my mother to ask her about it and she had never heard of it either. I called my boyfriend and he looked it up. Gripe Water is a home remedy for infants, usually meant for colic babies. It helps with gastrointestinal discomfort, teething pain, reflux, and other stomach ailments. It comes in a 4 ounce bottle that can be found at Walgreens. Only give your child the amount it says on the label. You can give it straight to your baby without mixing it but I found it easier to put a little bit in my sons bottle for it is like an oil and he choked on it straight up. It helped him with his grunting and no longer grunts more than the average infant. Mommy's Bliss makes it in a blue label bottle but it is a 12.00 bottle. I found that the cheaper brand worked just as well. Keep in mind that it does not help your child go, but it helps ease the discomfort of the tummy. It is not an everyday necessity but you can give it to your child as needed but no more than the label calls for.

No comments:

Post a Comment